So basically, this post is meant to encourage several things:
1. Try not to waste food. Visit this link for some interesting stats on poverty and food waste in America: http://www.soundvision.com/Info/poor/statistics.asp
Almost 100 billion pounds of food is wasted in America each year. 700 million
hungry human beings in different parts of the world would have gladly accepted
2. Be creative! There are no real rules beyond keeping your food safe for people to eat.
3. Consider planting a garden. It's amazing how far you can stretch your food dollar when you can supplement your meals with things growing right in your yard. Saves on fuel if you only have to travel 20 feet, too.
4. Keep your pantry stocked with spices, dried grains and beans, and other non-perishables. They make your life so easy.
5. Consider supporting your local farming community by joining a CSA .