Thursday, July 2, 2009

Potatoes!


This week when I went to go pick up my veggies from Green Hill Urban Farm (http://greenhillurbanfarm.com/), I had a special treat waiting for me. I'm sure I squealed like a little girl. What was I so excited about? Freshly-dug potatoes in several different colors (I guess you could say I'm easily amused) sitting like little dirty jewels in a produce box. Pretty.

Young potatoes are one of my favorite sides, especially when they are multi-colored. They don't require much -- a little butter, salt and herbs, or a simple dressing for a potato salad served room temperature or chilled. If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you may have gathered that I eat a lot of salads in the summer. The trick is making them hearty enough to garner meal status.
This salad is hearty enough. My friend agreed that it was a "man salad." When asked to expand, he said through a full mouth, "It has meat and potatoes." Indeed.

So, here's what I used:
two scallions, green parts only
two already cooked pieces of bacon (if you are vegetarian, consider using cooked smoky tempeh strips)
handful of parsley
half of an avocado, sliced
garden-fresh assorted lettuces
a couple basil leaves
4 or 5 tiny young potatoes, cut into somewhat equally-sized pieces
Not pictured: 1/2 a lemon juiced, 2 T of apple cider vinegar, a quarter cup of Theros extra virgin olive oil
First, put some salted water on to boil. Once it is rolling, add the potatoes. You will cook them until just tender. The time depends on the size of your cuts. Just keep checking their level of doneness with a fork.
Meanwhile, chop the bacon, scallions and herbs into fairly small pieces.
Place your chopped items in a bowl, then add your vinegar, then your lemon juice and then your oil. Mix it all together.


Drain and cool your potatoes, then add to the oil mix and toss.



Pour the entire mess over your lettuce, then add the avocado. Salt and pepper to taste.
Super easy summertime meal.






No comments:

Post a Comment