Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Super easy green bean recipe



OK, I'm really not usually a huge fan of store-bought sauces, but I do make a couple of exceptions. Black bean sauce from Kikkoman is one. I could eat it with a spoon. It has everything you want in a good black bean sauce: not too sweet, good and salty with a pungent ferment flavor. I hope I didn't turn you off with that last part.
Green Hill Urban Farm, the local farm that I purchase from, has an abundance of green beans right now. Green beans in black bean sauce are a great alternative to the typical green bean dish.
You need:
about a pound of beans
at least 3 T of black bean sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
one jalapeno, cut into thin strips
dash of rice wine vinegar
vegetable oil
Get a pot of salted water boiling on the stove.
Chop your beans into about 1-inch lengths, then blanch them for approximately 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Drain them, then shock them in iced water.
Heat your oil in a wok or skillet. Toss in jalapeno and garlic, saute for a second, then add your beans.
Throw in a dash of vinegar, a plop (yes, I said a plop -- look at the picture) of your black bean sauce, a bit of water to thin it all out if necessary and stir.

Cook for maybe two minutes and serve.
What an easy dish, huh?
I served my beans with brown rice and a sesame-glazed chicken leg.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment